I. Listening Comprehension
Directions: In Section A, you will hear ten short conversations between two speakers. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. The conversations and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a conversation and the question about it, read the four possible answers on your paper, and decide which one is the best answer to the question you have heard.
1. A. Impatient. B. Confused. C. Pleased. D. Regretful.
2. A. At a bus stop. B. At a laundry. C. At the dentist’s. D. At the chemist’s.
3. A. An actor. B. A salesman. C. A translator. D. A writer.
4. A. He lost his classmate’s homework. B. He can’t help the woman with her math.
C. He broke the woman’s calculator. D. He doesn’t know where the “on” button is.
5. A. The woman should go to another counter.
B. The woman gives the man so many choices.
C. The man dislikes the sandwiches offered there.
D. The man is having trouble deciding what to eat.
6. A. She has no idea where to find the man’s exam result.
B. She isn’t allowed to tell students their grades.
C. Dr. White hasn’t finished grading the papers.
D. Dr. White doesn’t want to be contacted while he’s away.
7. A. Move to a neat dormitory. B. Find a person to share their apartment.
C. Clean the room with the roommate. D. Write an article about their roommate.
8. A. Bob won’t take her advice.
B. Bob doesn’t want to go abroad.
C. She doesn’t think Bob should study overseas.
D. She hasn’t talked to Bob since he went abroad.
9. A. The snack bar isn’t usually so empty. B. Dessert is served in the snack bar.
C. The snack bar is near the library. D. Snacks aren’t allowed in the library.
10. A. Take her bicycle to the repair shop. B. Leave her bicycle outside.
C. Clean the garage after the rain stops. D. Check if the garage is dry.
Directions: In Section B, you will hear two short passages, and you will be asked three questions on each of the passages. The passages will be read twice, but the questions will be spoken only once. When you hear a question, read the four possible answers on your paper and decide which one would be the best answer to the question you have heard.
Questions 11 through 13 are based on the following passage.
11. A. It helps care for customers’ dogs. B. You have to buy food for dogs.
C. None of the dogs are caged. D. There is a dog named Princess.
12. A. She likes the food there. B. She enjoys the fun with a pet.
C. She can have free coffee. D. She doesn’t like to be alone.
13. A. A new kind of café. B. A new brand of coffee.
C. A new home for pets. D. A new way to raise pets.
Questions 14 through 16 are based on the following passage.
14. A. A trend that high achievers are given lower salary.
B. A view that life quality is more important than pay.
C. A dream of the young for fast-paced jobs.
D. A new term created by high achievers.
15. A. 10%. B. 12%. C. 6% D. 7%.
16. A. People are less satisfied with their lives. B. The financial investment may increase.
C. Well-paid jobs are not easy to find. D. Unexpected problems may arise.
Directions: In Section C, you will hear two longer conversations. The conversations will be read twice. After you hear each conversation, you are required to fill in the numbered blanks with the information you have heard. Write your answers on your answer sheet.
Blanks 17 through 20 are based on the following conversation.
Complete the form. Write ONE WORD for each answer.
Account No.: 17
Service Request: Check the 18
Solution: Send another 19 (2 p.m. on 20 )
Blanks 21 through 24 are based on the following conversation.
Complete the form. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
In what way are these climbers special?
They are all 21 .
Why did they choose to conquer Mount Kilimanjaro?
To prove 22 .
What did they do in time of difficulty?
They persevered, 23 each other.
How did they record their adventure?
By keeping 24 .